Scott leads Business Development and Federal initiatives at NEA. In this role, Scott works closely with NEA’s portfolio companies, providing tactical and strategic advice, and connecting them to senior executives and thought leaders across the private and public sectors.
Prior to joining NEA, Scott enjoyed a twenty-year career as an investor, operator and advisor to start-ups. Most recently, Scott was the COO of Automated Insights. During his tenure as COO, Automated Insights was named best place to work in the Raleigh-Durham area four years in a row and was acquired by Vista Equity Partners in 2015. The sale of the company provided the company’s earliest investors a more than 7x return. Prior to becoming an operator, Scott was a co-founder and General Partner at Valhalla Partners (a firm with $440 million under management). And prior to co-founding Valhalla Partners in 2002, Scott was a partner at FBR Technology Venture Partners ("FBRTVP"). During Scott's tenure, the FBRTVP funds produced seven IPOs, and FBRTVP I realized returns of 9x invested capital.
Scott was appointed to the National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship (NACIE) by Secretary Penny Pritzker in September 2016. He was also named to Washingtonian Magazine’s list of Tech Titans and was profiled by The Washington Business Journal in a cover story titled Six degrees of Scott: Why you need to know NEA's Scott Frederick.
Scott received a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School in 1994 (cum laude) and a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Duke University in 1991 (magna cum laude), where he was an A.B. Duke Scholar (a full, four-year academic scholarship).
Scott lives in Bethesda, Maryland with his wife, two daughters and their dog Wrigley.
- Scott Frederick featured at Second Front Systems Offset Symposium
- Scott Frederick featured at Booz Allen Hamilton VC Roundtable
- Scott Frederick featured at DETEC Shark Tank Session
- Scott Frederick featured at Machine Learning Symposium
- Scott Frederick featured at PSC Tech Trends
- Scott Frederick featured at Select USA Investment Summit
- Scott Frederick featured at Emerging Technology Event
- Scott Frederick featured at Offset Symposium
- Scott Frederick featured at Venture Capital & Startup Summit
- Scott Frederick featured at Gartner Research Board Meeting